Introduction and Download Instructions
SQL Server 2000 is supported by both ShipConstructor 2005, and ShipConstructor 2008. For users of ShipConstructor 2005, SQL Server 2000 is required as SQL Server 2005 is not supported by ShipConstructor 2005. The most up to date version of SQL Server 2000 is SQL Server 2000 with Service Pack 4. The free version of SQL Server 2000 is called the Microsoft Data Engine or MSDE, and can be downloaded here.
The downloaded file can be used install a new instance of SQL Server 2000 MSDE with Service Pack 4 or to upgrade an existing MSDE instance to Service Pack 4.
The following installation instructions are a simplified summary of the information contained in the following Microsoft Help document. The instructions below are for installing a new instance of SQL Server 2000 MSDE with Service Pack 4. For instructions on upgrading an existing instance to service pack 4 please see the Microsoft Help document and the Technical Information listed below.
- Double click on the downloaded file (SQL2000.MSDE-KB884525-SP4-x86-ENU.EXE) to extract the installation files to a temporary directory.
- Download the file SetupMSDE.bat attached to this knowledge base article and place it in the temporary directory where the MSDE setup files were extracted to. SetupMSDE.bat must exist in the same directory as Setup.exe.
- Double-click on SetupMSDE.bat to start the installation process.
A log of the installation will be placed at C:\MSDELog.log. The sa password of the newly created SQL Server instance will be set to ShipCon.
- After the installation process has completed restart your computer.
- SCServerSetup included with ShipConstructor 2005 should be run to configure the SQL Server instance to host ShipConstructor 2005 projects. If the SQL Server instance is intended to host ShipConstructor 2008 projects then ServerSetup included with ShipConstructor 2008 should be run.
If you are technically advanced and wish to execute Setup.exe without the use of the provided .bat file, the important command line switches to use are DISABLENETWORKPROTOCOLS=0 and SECURITYMODE=SQL. The .bat file can be viewed in a text editor for examination as an example.